The Bradford Council for Mosques was established in 1981 as an umbrella organisation for Masajid and Madaaris in the Bradford district. It is a multi denominational body inclusive of all different Muslim schools of thought and practice.
Masajid and Madaaris are independent voluntary organisations, managed by independent committees of local residents. The role of Bradford Council for Mosques is that of advisory and consultative.
The Bradford Council for Mosques also manages two Khidmat Centres which provide a range of community facilities and services for local communities, with particular emphasis on health and social care.
“The first Masjid in Bradford was established in 1958, in a terraced house by the Bradford Muslim Association at Howard Street, providing very basic facilities for Muslim worship and religious education to the local community. The second Masjid was established in 1965 by Jamiyat Tabligh Ul Islam at Southfield Square. The next three decades saw a phenomenal growth in the number of Masajid and Madaaris, reflecting the growth in size and confidence of the Muslim community. These developments were of varying scales and qualities in terraced houses, disused warehouses, churches, cinemas and other public buildings. The first purpose built Masjid was in Keighley and this was followed by a purpose built Masjid by the Tawukklia Islamic Society on Cornwall Road, off Manningham Lane in Bradford. At the present, there are over 80 Masajid and Madaaris in the Bradford district. Of these, 12 are the purpose built, adding minarets and domes to the district’s skyline. ”